My hard drive is slow and backups take a long time. How can I fix this ?
You should make sure that DMA is enabled on your drives.
ALERT! Note: Some older drives/motherboards have a problem with this, so you should ask your datacenter to be sure it's ok before enabling DMA on your drives.
- To enable DMA for a hard drive: hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
- To disable DMA for a hard drive: hdparm -d0 /dev/hda
- To measure transfer rate of a hard drive: hdparm -Tt /dev/hda
- To see what options are enabled for a hard drive: hdparm /dev/hda
- To see more info on your drive than you wanted to know: (this will show which UDMA modes are supported/enabled) hdparm -i /dev/hda